Monday, July 10, 2006

SWIMMING POOL


Movie of the Week:
SWIMMING POOL

If you read a lot of the reviews for this film, you'll see many references to this being a slick murder mystery. Really there's no mystery at all. Perhaps a murder has been committed, but if so, there's no mystery as to who did it. Instead, this is more of a psychological suspense drama between the two main characters.

I'm not going to give you the plot - that would be telling. Besides you could always follow the link above to the imdb site to find out anything you want about the movie - but that won't tell you whether or not you're going to like it. Even I can't tell you that ............ unless I lie. But if you must know, I'll tell you why I liked it.

But first, some warnings:
  1. There's nudity. Don't watch it if nudity in movies bothers you.
  2. There's sex. Ditto.
  3. It takes place in France, so there's some French language - BUT, since the main character is English, most of the dialog is in English.
  4. Those of you who rushed off to watch "The Saddest Music in the World" a couple weeks ago know enough not to put blind faith in my recommendations. I make no guarantees.

Now, here's why I liked the movie:
  1. There's nudity. I don't mind nudity in movies, especially if the naked people are rather attractive.
  2. There's sex. Ditto.
  3. It takes place in France, and even though the main character is English and most of the dialog is in English, there's just enough French for me to practice and improve my language skills.
  4. Screw you if you didn't like "The Saddest Music in the World". This is a completely different movie. "Different" meaning "more conventional", but also "extraordinary". Sorry, that didn't make any sense at all.
  5. The ending took me completely by surprise. I totally didn't see that coming.
  6. If you do see this movie and then give the ending away, I make no guarantees that someone won't hunt you down and !!*&*@$$@#!#$% ...........
  7. Nice pool! They must use like plenty of chlorine and stuff.
  8. This is a great date movie. On the surface it has the trappings of a chick flick (the two main characters are women), but there's plenty of stuff for guys to look at --- I mean, for guys to get into ---- I mean .......I'll shut up now.

So, put on your swim suit (or take them off - it's France after all), rent SWIMMING POOL and ....
Enjoy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home