Tuesday, August 08, 2006

War Movies Survey

Talking about war movies got me thinking. What are your favorite war movies. Not just recent ones, any that you can remember. I think that if a war movie left a big impression on you, you'd have no trouble remembering it.

  • Click on the "# comments" (hopefully the "#" will be a large number) link at the bottom of this post. You can choose "Anonymous" as your identity.
  • Type in the list of your favorite war movies.
  • If you want, you can sign the list, or initial it so I'll know who you are, or not if you want to remain anonymous.
  • When you're done, click on "Publish" to complete.

To get you going, here are some of my favorite war movies (in no particular order). Your list will be different.

By no means complete.

I'll compile the results in a couple weeks. Here's your chance to catch up on some you've missed.

6 Comments:

At 6:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do documentaries count? I'll go with movies.

Born on the fourth of July

Dirty Dozen

The man who would be king

Downfall

Galipoli

hamburger hill

3 kings

the thin red line

under fire

salvador


JT

 
At 10:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's funny that a movie starring George Clooney, Ice Cube, and Markey Mark is going to make everyone's list. The thing is, it's a damn good movie.

 
At 9:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tigerland is an excruciating look at what war does to young men.

 
At 12:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know it was a mini-series, not a movie, but "Band of Brothers" illustrated so many aspects of war, and how they affected individuals involved that I would probably rate it in my top three. The scene where the guy goes blind and then recovers his sight is really amazing.

I actually watched the entire series on DVD on the way to Buffalo, NY on a train. (they have power outlets right next to your seat!!) Amazing.

Catch 22 - definitely, as sarcastic as it was, suggests some of the absurdity of war in general.

I'd throw "Wag the Dog" in there, just because it is more like the 'War' we wage these days.

I don't really consider "Apocalypse Now" a war movie, more a psycho-drama that takes place during a war. Besides, Vietnam was a police action, not a war.

If you want to include a movie that takes place during a war, then "Casablanca" should definitely be included.

Saving Private Ryan was probably the best recent movie, although I haven't seen all of the movies on your list. It gave the observer a real taste of the horror that is war.

Best FUN war movie? The Adventures of Baron Munchausen. Great acting and Uma Thurman naked. What more could you want?

 
At 11:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would have to say "Apocalypse Now" mostly because I've read Heart of Darkness, and the movie is a really intesting interpretation of the book.

"Full Metal Jacket" was great as well, it did a better job in terms of showing the audience how young men are treated in boot camp than say, Officer and a Gentleman.

AW

 
At 7:26 AM, Blogger FranksFilms said...

Damn JT,

I still haven't watched DOWNFALL. Got to get down to it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home