Sunday, July 16, 2006

SEX AND LUCIA




From the Archive: 3/29/2005
SEX AND LUCIA

First of all, let me say that this movie's title makes certain promises. I will put your mind to rest that it certainly delivers on both counts. There is sex, and there is Lucia. Now before you get the wrong impression about this film, let me say that the movie is neither about sex nor about Lucia.

It's actually about Lorenzo, the main character in the story. While on vacation, he has a brief encounter with a beautiful young woman (not Lucia) that changes his life forever. The story is not told in a linear fashion, and although it is in no way confusing, you do have to pay attention.

This is a wonderfully beautiful film. It is a "must see". You must go out, rent it, and see it. Go do it now. I'll give you a quarter if you see this movie. You can give me a quarter if you like it.

But, BE WARNED:
  • There's nudity and sex in this movie, and although it's done with taste and beauty, the usual warnings apply. Don't see this movie if this bothers you (but then you don't get the quarter).
  • It's in Spanish with various language subtitles.
  • There almost no violence - so it's inappropriate for children.
Now, here's why you should see it:
  1. a quarter
  2. It's really hot.
  3. It has an actual plot - and it's a good one.
  4. Despite various catastrophic tragedy and such, it has a very satisfying ending.
  5. It's fraught with symbolism and stuff
  6. Makes you want to say, " .........aaaaaah".
  7. I'm not sure what #6 means.
  8. It not only tells a story, but it does it in a very artistic way. Don't forget that film is an art form.
  9. Paz Vega is fantastic as Lucia. It made me want to look for other movies that she was in. She also starred in "Spanglish" with Adam Sandler, which was another of my recommended films. Unfortunately, there wasn't nearly as much nudity in that movie. This is a much better film (not just because of the nudity).
  10. I think I'll turn off my computer now and go watch it again.
I know that many of you with small children have trouble finding the time alone with your spouse to watch a movie like this. I had the same problem when my kids were young. That's why I watch them all now.

It's important, once in a while, to make special time alone together to just relax and watch a movie that doesn't involve talking animals or cartoon action figures. When I was a kid, before the age of videos, my parents did this by dressing me in my pj's and taking me to the drive-in theater. They would always show some "kid" movie first, then follow that with an "adult" film. The reasoning being that kids would be asleep by the 2nd feature.

Put the kids to bed and enjoy SEX AND LUCIA.

3 Comments:

At 7:28 AM, Blogger FranksFilms said...

I got a stack of quarters, and no takers.

 
At 11:28 PM, Blogger FranksFilms said...

I tend to do my movie watching in spurts. I may go a week or two with nothing. Then suddenly, I'll watch 2 or 3 a day for a week or two. My Netflix queue is grwing faster than I can ever watch them.

 
At 10:24 PM, Blogger Jan Andrea said...

Quarters to be exchanged on Thanksgiving.

Finally got to watch the end of the movie, just now. Not quite sure what to think. So, most of the second half was Lorenzo's writing, and the reality at the end is that he and Lucia know about Belen, but none of the awful stuff happens? Okay, but... I don't know. It's nice that way, but... yah. I think it needs another viewing, which I will certainly not be able to do in a single sitting until Sophia is in school full-time.

So I guess I liked it, but I'm still going "But, but..." because I'm an American and used to movies where the ending is THE ENDING and not "Wait, nevermind about the last hour, we were just foolin' with you." Still, it did make me want to visit Spain and be young and nubile and whatnot.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home